This is a festive classic. Our famous, deboned gammon is cut from the pork leg and is second to none! It's perfectly salted with sweet and savoury flavours and infused with top notes of smoked hardwood. Not just for Christmas, this is perfect all year round!
- Prep - Less than 30 min
- Cook - Over 2 hours
- 6-8 servings
- 1.8kg deboned gammon (available here in the online store)
- 2 onions halved
- 2 carrots, unpeeled, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 5cm pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 black peppercorns
- small handful cloves
Remove packaging, except netting. Place gammon in deep pot and cover with enough cold water to remain submerged during cooking. Cover with lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for approximately 1 hour per kg of gammon. * Optional: Add the onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves and peppercorns to the pot when simmering. Remove gammon from the water and set aside to cool for 15 min. Glaze gammon (see below).
Create gammon glaze: Mix 300 g brown sugar "Treacle Sugar", half a cup of syrup/honey and one teaspoon of ground "All Spice".
Once gammon is cooked, remove netting. Carefully peel off the skin/rind, ensuring pink fat layer remains. Using a sharp knife, score a diamond pattern in the fat layer. * Optional: push a clove into the centre of each scored 'X'.
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place gammon in roasting pan and brush with half the gammon glaze. Place roasting pan on lowest rack in oven and set to grill position. Using remainder of glaze, baste frequently until golden brown (5-10 min). Watch carefully to avoid over-browning.
Remove the gammon from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Carve the gammon, serve on a large platter and spoon over the warmed juices.
- Boil the gammon in any of the following to enhance the meat's flavour in a unique way: pineapple juice, orange juice, beer or coca-cola. Serious!
- Add the following to the pot when cooking the gammon: carrots, onion, celery sticks, bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves.
- Garnish the cooked gammon with whole cloves, pineapple rings and cherries.
Deboned Gammon (available in the online store)