Another comforting, winter warmer poitjiekos recipe. This is one of our favourites due to its simplicity, amazing flavours and huge success rate.
- Prep - 20 min
- Cook - 2 hours
- Ready In - 2 h 20 m
- 4-6 servings
- 1kg lamb knuckles (available in the online store)
- 1 spiced lamb pot sachet (available in the online store)
- 3 med. onions chopped
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup dried peaches
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Vegetables of your choice, cleaned and cut (we used potatoes and butternut)
- Oil for frying
- Fry onions in oil until golden, together with the garlic and the crushed chillies (top layer). Reduce the quantity of chilli or omit if you prefer a milder dish.
- Add the meat and the spices in the second layer and stir-fry on high heat until the meat is browned.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water together with the peaches, sugar and salt. Replace lid and cook on low heat until the meat is nearly tender.
- Dissolve contents of third layer in a little water and mix in well with the meat (add more liquid if necessary).
- Pack vegetables on top of the meat in layers, season to taste, then sprinkle with spices in the bottom layer. Continue cooking at a slow simmer until the meat is done.
- Serve with yellow rice (we used Basmati rice) and fruit chutney.